TCZ Episode #119: Mike Robbins: We’re All In This Together: Coaching Teams With This in Mind
On today's show I talk to Mike Robbins, author of five books including his brand new title, We're All In This Together: Creating a Team Culture of High Performance, Trust and Belonging. Mike's ideas are based on 20 years working as a highly sought-after speaker and consultant to clients such as, Google, Wells Fargo, Microsoft, Genentech, eBay, Harvard University, and LinkedIn. We begin with Mike's own story as a professional sportsman turned business consultant in the San Francisco Bay area. We talk about the sense of urgency which compelled him to write the book, and then explore the four pillars that his research has led him to believe are essential for teams to thrive in today's world. These are:
- Psychological safety, drawing on the work of Amy Edmondson and others, what it takes to create an environment safe for risk-taking, disagreement, failure, boldness and authenticity.
- Inclusion and belonging, why teams need to engage in authentic conversations around this topic in an on-going and effective way, not only for companies to thrive but for societies to move in a positive direction on these fronts.
- Embracing sweaty-palm conversations, however scary and difficult, conflict as an enabler for positive team relationships, overall performance and wellbeing.
- Caring and challenging each other, the importance of maintaining a strong balance of nurturing and high expectations in the team.
Listen here on the Team Coaching Zone or any podcast platform to Episode #119 More about Mike:
- Mike and his work have been featured in the New York Times and the Harvard Business Review, as well as on NPR and ABC News.
- He’s a regular contributor to Forbes, hosts his own podcast (called We’re All in This Together), and his books have been translated into 15 different languages.